Throughout centuries, Armenian monasteries have played a great role in the spiritual, cultural and political life of the Armenian people. These holy sites are recognized not only as centers of prayer, but also as scriptoriums where numerous works and translations were scripted, hand-copied and passed on to generations to come. Many of the church complexes represent magnificent and inimitable samples of the Armenian ancient and medieval architecture.
The Yereruyk Temple or St. Karapet (Forerunner) Church of Yereruyk was built in the 4th-5th centuries and has some features peculiar to antiquity. It is located near the village of Anipemza in the marz of Shirak. On the southern wall of the temple, the Greek inscription reads the following words of Psalm 93: "Holiness befits your house, O Lord, for endless days."
The Monastery of Makenis is located in the village of Makenis in the marz of Gegharkunik, Republic of Armenia. The monastery's main church, St. Mother of God, was founded in 851 by Prince Grigor Supan, son of Princess Mariam. The monastery was one of the major cultural and educational centers in medieval Armenia.
Тhe Armenian Catholic monastery of Bzommar (or Zmmar as pronounced in Armenian) was founded in 1750 in the Lebanon village of Bzommar during the days of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch Hagop Bedros II (1749-1753). The monastery has a rich library hosting 2000 manuscripts and 900 old printed Armenian books. The cathedral of the monastery was built in 1771. There is an old miraculous icon of the Holy Virgin in the monastery that is placed in a chapel built in 1940.
Moro Dzoro (or Tsrviz) Monastery is located on the right slope of the southwestern ravine of Lusahovit village of Tavush Marz in Armenia. It was built in the 5th-7th centuries. The monastery of Nor Varagavank is also in the same region, near the village of Varagavan, and was founded by king David II Kyurikian in the 12th century.
The monastery is located near the town of Yeghvard in Kotayk region of Armenia. It was built in the 7th century by Armenian Prince Grigor Mamikonyan. In medieval Armenia, this monastery was a center of manuscript copying. In 1638 the Turkish army burned the monastery. In 1735, the battle of Turkish and Persian troops that took place in that territory destroyed St. Theodoros, and it was abandoned.
The Church of the Holy Apostles in the city of Kars was founded in 940s, during the reign of Armenian king Abas Bagratuni. The church building is intact to this day but is converted into a mosque. Bazenits Monastery was situated in the Vaspurakan province of Greater Armenia and was built or reconstructed in the 15th century. Some manuscripts created in this monastery have reached our days.