Throughout centuries, Armenian monasteries have played a great role in the spiritual, cultural and political life of the Armenian people. These holy sites are recognized not only as centers of prayer, but also as scriptoriums where numerous works and translations were scripted, hand-copied and passed on to generations to come. Many of the church complexes represent magnificent and inimitable samples of the Armenian ancient and medieval architecture.
The marvelous monastery complex of Kecharis is located in the northwestern part of the Armenian town of Tsakhkadzor, Kotayk marz. The principal church of the complex is the Church of Saint Gregory the Illuminator built in 1033 A.D. by Grigor Magistros Pahlavouni. The residence of the prelate of the Kotayk Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church is at Kecharis Monastery.